The development work in COSIGN takes place in seven dedicated Work Packages.
Work Package 1 – Architecture Design and Modelling
The Key Objectives of WP1 are:
• To identify main requirements to be faced by future DCNs through representative business cases
• To propose, evaluate and compare cutting-edge optical technologies able to satisfy the identified DCN requirements and challenges in an efficient and cost- effective way
• To study and architect the possible future intra-DC control and management mechanisms based on a converged IT and network orchestrator that operates with the future DCN network technologies following the SDN paradigm
• To identify the necessary functional objectives and constraints that will drive the dynamics of next generation DCN provisioning
• To roadmap the evolution and adoption of future SDN based optical DCNs.
This Work Package is led by partner I2CAT.
Work Package 2 – High-Performance Optical Subsystems and Devices
WP2 will develop breakthrough technological solutions for an integrated, automatic, and optimised DCN solution:
• Optically connected TOR switches supporting 400 Gbps software-defined bandwidth allocation and corresponding compact 3D electro-optical transceiver ICs
• A flattened software defined mesh network topology based on large port count and low-loss free space 3D beam steering switches for interconnecting TOR switches
• Semiconductor InP switches with very fast reconfiguration times as a long term solution
• Specialist interconnection fibres as required to realise the project subsystems and final system trials, including Multicore fibres and low-latency hollow-core photonic band gap fibres
• MCF interfaces enabling flexible reconfiguration of the logical network connectivity on top of the installed physical network based on space division multiplexing
This Work Package is led by partner TU/e (Technical University of Eindhoven).
Work Package 3 – SDN Framework Architecture Design and Protocols Extensions
The Key Objectives of WP3 are:
• Design and implementation of a dynamic SDN platform for unified management and control of the virtual DCN infrastructure
• Definition of granularity and key parameters to describe virtual resource and connectivity to allow configuration and monitoring functionalities in the Data Centre optical network.
• Design specific south-bound interfaces and resource virtualisation strategies for the COSIGN optical data plane
• Design and development of orchestration mechanisms for the DC network parts only, based on resource virtualisation and on-demand service provisioning over intra-DC virtual networks specification and request
• Design and implement mechanisms for dynamic re-programmability of the virtual network connectivity, triggered by high-level service request. These mechanisms will be based on a mix of pre-planned and on-demand paths computation and configuration, depending on the desired connections granularity.
This Work Package is led by partner Nextworks.
Work Package 4 – Converged Virtualisation of Optical Network and IT Resources
The Key Objectives of WP4 are:
• Definition of data models and parameters for describing connectivity and policy requirements for DC workloads, such as Virtual Data Centre slices and Virtual Application Networks
• Identification of requirements and specification of interfaces between the orchestrator layer and the SDN controller layer
• Formulation of resource allocation strategies and virtualisation algorithms to serve workload-level requests, e.g., VDC or Virtual Overlays
• Deveopment of resource management algorithms to attain efficient utilisation of the virtualised optical network.
This Work Package is led by partner IBM Israel.
Work Package 5 – Integration, Validation and Demonstration
The Key Objectives of WP5 are:
• Integration and experimental validation of data plane subsystems developed in WP2
• Integration and experimental validation of orchestration and virtualisation mechanisms developed in WP3 and WP4
• Building a laboratory based integrated COSIGN test bed
• Definition of performance and success metrics for the subsystems as well as overall concept
• Final demonstration of the COSIGN data centre network concept
• Demonstration of COSIGN outcomes and its impact on data centre using industrial use cases in an operator research test bed.
This Work Package is led by partner DTU (Technical University of Denmark).
Work Package 6 – Standardisation, Dissemination and Exploitation
• Setting up and continuously updating the COSIGN project website
• Promoting actions for influencing standardisation activities for Data Centres and SDN-based control and management solutions
• Hosting open and public demonstrations of selected developments and components of the COSIGN solution
• Publishing scientific publications in international journals and conferences
• Organising thematic workshops, e.g., in cooperation with other projects
• Developing exploitation plans for the achievements coming from the technical activities
• Liaising with related national, European and international projects.
This Work Package is led by partner Interoute S.P.A.
Work Package 7 – Project Management and Administration
The Key tasks in WP7 are:
• Coordinating the technical activities of WP1-6 and the interaction of partners
• Establishing and maintaining links between project partners and the EU
• Monitoring of the technical outcomes, with emphasis on project milestones and deliverables
• Administration of project resources and monitoring the overall project performance
• Resource management
• Risk management and contingency planning
• Reporting to the EU.
This Work Package is led by partner DTU.